Thursday, March 10, 2011

Missionary Moments...

Well let me first start with the first saturday of the month, at 11:00 am, there is a Tornado warning test, TEST.... little did my companion tell me about this "test" so we are out on bikes, and I must say when I heard the alarms going off, my heart kind of jumped...  But soon realizing that the weather was not quite bad enough to warrant a tornado, I quickly calmed down, and the "test" was talked about. 

Weather...  Well the weather is different, there are warm days, and cold days.  The wind is ALWAYS blowing, and the other day we had snow in the morning, rain in the evening, and the next day it was in the 50's...  The Cold is COLD... It's really fun though to be out and about on bikes and travel around the city with cars honking, and members offering so much help.  So needless to say, I'm still wearing 2 pair of socks a day, and thermals under suit pants.  We bike a ton, (we share a car every other week) and it's hard because you could be sweating but your are freezing too! 

Apartment.  We are living just north of Purdue university, and it's a little one bedroom apartment, that is pretty nice.  It's pretty quiet around us, and it's very simple.  We have a few couches and desks that fill our front room, and we use them for study time and what not.  We have a warm shower!!!  and laundry is in the next building over, we have to pay $1 for each load, and to dry, but it's simple enough to get the job done. 

Companion... We are getting along great!  we are learning to teach really well, and he's quick to compliment me!  We are working hard, and we have great respect for each other.  The great thing he shared with me is that he's treating me as though I've been out on the mission for over a year, not as a greeny.  Which really makes me feel good.


I am not going to lie, the first week was great, and tough all at the same time.  I had to make a few adjustments really quick!  The life of a missionary is very different, and takes some getting used to.  The schedule is getting easier, the morning study sessions aren't quite as sleepy, and it helps when you want to study, and you are finding inspiration, and revelation in the scriptures.  I'm learning fast that the area's i get to be in aren't always as good as this one.  Like i said last week we have a ton of graduate students, and people from back west who are more than willing to help you in any way that they can.  we can have rides when we need them the food here is great!  The weirdest thing we ate was a plate of Krinkle fries, that had alfredo sauce on them, but the alfredo sauce was packed with Ham...  If you would have told me to eat this i would have laughed at you... but it really wasn't that bad...  Kind of like Tuna and Coco!!  but i LOVE TUNA and Coco!!

I want you all to know how important this gospel is to me.  And will be for eternity.  The spirit is an amazing blessing, and is often times even here hard to recognize, but it can be very overpowering as well!  I am so blessed to have you all in my life, and please if you aren't going to church, get back there, if you aren't reading daily, GET STARTED! and Take NOTES!! the Lord WILL speak to you in there.  And most of all Pray!  pray pray pray!  Imagine how the Lord feels, he hasn't seen you in so many years, and there are so many things he could help us with.  Just like me when i get home we'll want to talk and share and share advice and experiences, and that is what God can be for us!  and He's Perfect, so you know he'll only lead you down the path that is correct! 

Love Elder Rees! 

1 comment: