Tuesday, June 19, 2012

June 18, 2012

Hey family!   here is a few pictures to start with.  My new companion Elder Horikami!  He's a big guy, and is very loving and I am going to miss him when he goes home in 3 weeks.  His family is from Caldwell ID, but his family moved about 1 year ago to Jasper ID...  I think it's over by Jackson WY.  His dad is a pastry chef over there for a ski resort.  I think I have an in for some awesome wedding cake in the future...  Yep so he's 6'7'' and does a pretty good impression of the Giant from "The Princess Bride."  He caught me off guard one night, and he said a quote from it, and I about spewed the water I was drinking right out of my mouth.   Life this week...  Hmmm.. Monday we were on exchange with another companionship up in Indy 2nd ward.  They share our church building with us.  We had a great time up there, and I spent the day with a great Elder.  He's truly striving to follow the spirit as he plans, and listens for the very subtle promptings of the spirit.  It was amazing to see how proper planning and study pay off.  We happened upon a guy who said something like, "Yeah, I downloaded the Book of Mormon on my Ipad the other day, and with that musical being out, and stuff, who knows, I've been having a real crisis of my faith lately, and have just been wondering what it's been all about."  So needless to say we were pretty excited to have been listening to the little promptings.  They made a big difference in our day.   We also were able to meet with one of our newer investigators.  They were good.  It still seems like we just happened upon them, and they aren't too sure about acting on our message just yet.  I like using the ward roster to find people to teach, and baptize, and even for God to inspire a name to put us in the right area so we can meet the right people on the street...  I've seen them all work in my mission.  I have wondered if these new people will plant the seed of faith and test out our message... I know the blessings that await them, and it's hard to describe the feelings they are going to look forward to.   Friday was another exchange... This time I was able to stay in our area and work.  It was SO HOT!  I felt so drained after just a few hours of being in the heat.  We haven't had rain for about 2 weeks, and there is none in or forecast, people are beginning to get nervous here.  I think it's a good humbling experience!  Anyway, I was able to spend the day with one of our district leaders, and he is doing great!  He's 25, and it was fun to work with him.  Both he and I like to have fun, but understand our efforts here are for the Lord, and we do take that calling very seriously, even if we keep a smile on our face while we do it.  I think it's meant to happen that way.  He's a newer district leader, and I shared with him the importance of his assignment.  He's the one that can get all of the things that we talk about in Zone Leader council, and the things we pass along into the elders of the district.  He can receive inspiration and revelation about the needs and concerns of the missionaries he's over.  He is striving everyday to love them, and to serve them!  It's neat to watch the growth that happens in missionaries so fast when they are put into a situation that demands it.   Saturday... ok up to this point our week was pretty good, yet Saturday.....  5 teaching appointments scheduled... this is where almost all of our numbers for the week were going to be coming from, and all 5 cancelled!  I seriously thought about quitting and going inside at like 5 that night and just pouting.  We stayed out, and were able to stop by an investigator of ours and it resulted in us being able to give them a bit of service!  It was good to work a little bit.  He was digging out a circle in the grass for a new pool.  Just a little cheap above ground ones, but in this heat those things are pretty popular.  We talked about different gospel topics as we worked.  He offered us a Tea... HA!  that sparked a huge line of questions and as he drank his tea, he said it didn't taste as good now that he knew a little about the word of wisdom.  It was fun to watch the spirit work in that situation.  He offered to pay us for our work, and we said the only payment we'll accept is for him to come to church... he didn't.  We invited so many people this week, it was a commitment in almost all of our lessons, and we didn't have anyone show!  Rough... yet I was able to sit in Sacrament meeting and just absorb the peace that was there... I didn't want to leave.  There are times as a missionary that aren't fun, they are stressful, and depressing at times, and when you go from all of that frustration and allow it to be placed at the "altar" of God, and let him take care of it, the peace that was there was so awesome to feel.  It didn't matter if we had a poorly prepared lesson in gospel principles or priesthood, it mattered that I felt the love of my Father(s) in Heaven, and the warmth the Spirit brings.  That is what it's about!  Well I'm hopeful that through our planning this next week will be greatly improved!   Love you all!  -- Love, Elder Rees

No comments:

Post a Comment