Saturday, December 24, 2011

December 19, 2011

Hey Family and Friends! 

Well another week has FLOWN by!  Here in Indiana, the weather is now cold.... It's usually in the 30's and with the Humidity, that does make it feel like it's in the Teens!  It's not too bad, this week we actually got a full time car!   So we are feeling pretty special, and warm because we are now cruising a car of our very own.  It makes the work so much more effective!  We get so much more accomplished when we don't have to plan in travel time. 

Here are a few miracles from this weeks work!

#1: (actually happened last week) 
We were tracting in an area that we'd been wanting to get up to and visit.  We are finding that we now want to go into areas where people have jobs, and cars....  Which also means that we really have to plan to go tracting in those areas when people are going to be home.  We knocked a few doors the previous week in that neighborhood, and had a few people invite us back... but they haven't been home since... so we decided to head to the next street, and work that one.  We had plenty of time to visit all the doors so we went down one side and back up the other...  Within the first few doors we had a few frustrating experiences...  It seemed like the first 5 doors were very rude... They would just walk away from us as we talked with them, or they gave us a good excuse "We have the Flu" and that makes it kind of easy for us to just say "have a great day!"   We had 2 very rude people in a row, and from past experience I knew what that meant.... we were on the right track...  I told my companion this is where we need to be, and so on we went.  Next door, nice but not interested, even though they don't know what it is we are bringing to their door, next door not home.  Next door, an invitation to come back!   We set an appointment, which was for last Monday, and before we left for her house, she calls us and says she's not going to be home and we'd need to reschedule...  Most just don't show.... so that was a good sign.  We went back this week and set another appointment for tonight... 12/19/2011, and we are anxious to meet with her and help her see that we are here for her.  I asked her "We know why we are here.... but why are you allowing us to come back...?   -"I guess I'm curious" was her response, and now we can go and take those promptings of the spirit and share the message that will help her most! 
I know that when we are being tried, and our patience is wearing thin, that is when we are so close to the blessings of the Lord, and all we need to do is endure a little longer. 

Awesome Miracle #2:
More tracting in an area I'd wanted to get into for some time....  
OK this story begins earlier in that day...  Elder Rivest decided that during our lunch break to make some lunch.... Chicken and Scalloped potatoes...  the box said 20 minutes for complete preparation and cooking time... so he should have had plenty of time within our 1 hour lunch break to complete.   He started by getting a pan with oil nice and hot, and then proceeded to drop in his chicken.... as the box instructions directed him to do...  Save for the fact that his chicken just got pulled out of the freezer....  OIL WENT EVERYWHERE!!!   I got frustrated, and informed him that frozen chicken doesn't fry well...  We removed it from the heat, I tried to carry the pan outside, and got oil all over me...  He just kind of stood there dumbfounded at what was happening and didn't really know what to do.  We pulled the chicken, and started the defrosting process in the microwave instead....   UGH...   I sat and stewed on this little experience for the rest of our break, and was frustrated that it was taking him such a long time to make a meal, when I could have been done cooking it for him already.   But how else will he learn.  Lesson 1: frozen chicken and hot oil is a bad idea.  We had a teaching appointment right after that, and I was still angry.  We got there and she decided to reschedule on us so we went to our back up plans, and were able to visit a few less active families, and that was good.  I could change my attitude for the time we were inside, but as we got back in the car my heart was still upset.  We went to go tracting like we had planned, and drove the small neighborhood for a minute to see where we wanted to start.  It was small enough that we could have completed the whole neighborhood in an hour or so if no one was home, but we parked the car, and Elder Rivest decided to complete 2 little side streets, and see where that got us.  So, I'm still angry, and knowing that we wouldn't have any success unless I spoke my mind, and told him how I was feeling.  After voicing my frustrations, I came to the conclusion that there should be no reason for me to be angry.  He finished cooking his meal, (didn't have time to eat it now) the house didn't burn down, we were able to make it to our teaching appointment on time, and he seemed to be happy as could be.... You really can't dampen his spirits!   Got to love that about my companion!   I was still feeling this bug of frustration, and knew that there was no reason for me to be feeling this way...  So Elder Rivest suggests we pray....   Frustration level just went up!   Thinking back to my last week.... When things get hard, I know I'm on the right track.... So I asked Elder Rivest to say a prayer for our tracting time, and for me... I told him I'm going to be saying my own little prayer so I may not say amen at the same time he does, because I need to pray by myself too...   I prayed that my pride would be swallowed, and these feelings would leave me.  We stepped out of the car and walked to the first door with a whole new attitude!   I love my companion, and his wisdom!   We tracted all the doors, and were left with 1 duplex to knock.  Apartment B, No one answered.... like most of the houses on the street... Apartment A, A VERY nice couple that allowed us to come in, gave us a drink, we shared the message of the Restoration, briefly, and left them with a copy of The Book of Mormon, and set a return appointment to discuss this more fully... they seemed very interested, and Lesson learned!  Got to love the Humble! 

We still have a baptism on December 31st, and are excited to welcome in the first member of the Church in Indiana on 1/1/2012!  We had a Plan of Salvation lesson with her this week, and at the end she said this: "you know I really look to Christ like an older Brother...  is that weird?"   I couldn't even contain myself!  I was so happy!  She has truly been converted.  After our lesson, she took a  Book of Mormon over to a friends house for her.... What an awesome investigator!  

And Between Elder Rivests family, and you all... We are officially enjoying the 36 Days of Christmas!   With more treats, and goodies than either of our waste lines care to eat!  But don't worry we are getting through them slowly but surely....  My Blood/Swedish fish levels are off the charts though....  I'm not sure what the legal limit is but I'm sure I've surpassed that!


I want you all to know that my testimony of my Savior Jesus Christ has grown so much!  I love Him, I know he knows me, and loves me!   I know that this time of year is so special because I get to help others come and follow him!  I am so proud (in a good way) to represent him everyday, and be his disciple.  

I love you all, and am wishing you a very Happy Christmas here from Indiana! 

Love Elder Rees

No comments:

Post a Comment